Chime is a great banking alternative to traditional banks. They have no hidden fees and are great for personal banking.
However, Chime is not for everyone. Nor should you ever feel obligated to continue with your Chime account if you find something that better fits your needs.
If you ever decide to close your account – whether it be after a few days or years of use – make sure you fully understand the process. You don’t want to have extra fees or leave money sitting in a Chime account with no way to access it.
Below, you’ll learn how to close a Chime account step by step, what if any fees are involved, and how to cancel other things related to Chime. We will also cover everything you can and can’t cancel through Chime.
Let’s get started!
How to Close a Chime Account: Step-by-Step
While Chime has great benefits like no hidden fees and being able to transfer money quickly between Chime accounts, it can be a bit more complicated when it comes time to move on and close that account.
The Chime website help page doesn’t offer much in the way of guidance in closing your account, so here are the steps you need to take on how to close a Chime account.
- Step 1: Make sure your account is at zero with no pending transactions.
- Step 2: Unhook all your accounts from Chime, including any subscriptions you may have forgotten about.
- Step 3: Send an email to Chime at firstname.lastname@example.org requesting they delete your account.
- Step 4: Stay on top of customer support about closing your account to get your account closed faster.
- Step 5: Once Chime confirms your account is gone, send Chime support a follow-up email to ensure that your account is closed.
Chime Account Closing Fee
Thankfully, there are no fees for closing a Chime account. However, if you have a negative balance, you’ll need to pay the difference before Chime closes your account. With this in mind, you may want to carefully plan your account closure.
Does Chime Close Inactive Accounts
No, Chime will not close an inactive account. However, if you break the terms and conditions when signing for a Chime account, then they have the right to close your account without warning.
Many neobanks, or online-only banks, have a stipulation that their accounts are for personal purposes only. According to Nasdaq, if chime suspects you use your account for business activity, then they will shut down your account. Those that do business work like freelancing are better off choosing a different online bank.
Also, if they suspect you have fraudulent dealings and use their account for the purpose, they will close your account without notice.
Closing Other Things Related to Chime
Now that you know how to close a Chime account, let’s go over some other things you need to know about canceling Chime-related transactions.
How to Delete Amazon Chime Account
Closing an Amazon Chime account is much easier than closing your Chime checking account since you go through Amazon to delete it.
- Go to Amazon Chime console.
- Enter “Settings” and then “Account.”
- Click on the users’ page.
- Select the users one at a time and remove them.
- Go back to your account, the “Account Actions.”
- Click on “Delete Account.”
- Don’t forget to confirm the deletion.
When you delete your account, Amazon Chime deletes all user data along with it, so there’s no need to worry that your information is still around.
How to Cancel Subscriptions on Chime
At this time, Chime doesn’t have a way to manage ongoing subscriptions, so you’ll have to cancel your subscriptions or change payment options manually.
If you use your mobile phone for your subscriptions, you can quickly cancel subscriptions on your device. Of course, it is a bit harder through a computer, but it will be worth the peace of mind in the end.
Canceling a Payment on Chime
Payments between Chime accounts are speedy, so be careful when sending money to another Chime account if you’re not 100% sure about it. However, you can cancel any pending transaction with these simple steps:
- Log in to Chime.
- Go into your activity and select which pending transaction you want to cancel.
- Press the cancel button once to select that you wish to cancel that payment.
- Press the cancellation button again to confirm and cancel that transaction.
Related: Withdraw Cash from Chime Without a Card
How Do I Cancel My Chime Debit Card?
In the case of a lost or stolen Chime debit card, you can use your phone to make sure no one is going to steal your money before contacting support about canceling and reissuing you a new card.
- Open Chime on your phone
- Go into Settings and then Security
- You’ll find a drop-down menu
- Click on the Chime card transaction and switch it from on to off
- Contact support about canceling your Chime debit card
How to Cancel Direct Deposit on Chime
You cannot cancel direct deposits on Chime since this tends to be done through your employer or the government. Instead, you’ll need to contact where you set up your direct deposit to send it to another account other than your Chime account.
Related: Does Chime Work with Cash App?
Now that you know all there is on how to close a Chime account step by step and know-how to delete your Amazon Chime account, you should have no problems deleting your accounts and moving on to something that works better for you.
Don’t be afraid to be thorough when it comes to making sure your Chime account is closed for good. Having a bank come after you for fees you didn’t know you were accumulating is never a great feeling or a helpful situation.
Or, since they don’t delete inactive accounts, just unhook everything, zero your account, and go on with your life.
If you would like to learn more about Chime and the inner workings of this neobank, check out their FAQ page or contact the Help Center if you need more information.
Related: Does Chime Work With Venmo?