Walmart is the largest retailer in the world with over 10,000 stores across the globe. Apply Pay is the largest mobile payment provider with 507 million users worldwide. You may be wondering if Walmart accepts Apple Pay, and the following will help answer those questions.
Does Walmart Take Apple Pay?
No, Walmart does not accept Apple Pay at any of its stores. Instead, they want you to use their own Walmart Pay product.
How do you use Apple Pay at Walmart?
You cannot use Apple Pay at any Walmart store. However, you can download the Walmart app to use Walmart Pay, which works in a similar manner.
Does Walmart have Mobile Pay?
Yes, Walmart has its own mobile payment product called Walmart Pay. It works in a similar manner to Apple Pay but can only be used at Walmart stores.
How do you use Walmart Pay?
Follow these instructions to use Walmart Pay:
- Download the Walmart app to your phone
- Signup for a free account
- Inside the app go to Account, then Wallet
- Add your debit/credit card to the Walmart Pay app
- Shop like normal, go to a self-checkout register, and scan all of your items like normal
- On the register, hit the green Pay button
- You will be presented with several payment options. One option will say Walmart Pay and a small QR code will be shown on the screen.
- Bring up the Walmart app on your phone. Hit Services. Choose Walmart Pay
- Point your camera to the QR code on the register screen
- You will see a screen confirming your purchase was successful
Related: Does McDonald’s Take Apple Pay?
When will Walmart Accept Apple Pay?
Walmart has said they have no intention of ever accepting Apple Pay.
Why doesn’t Walmart Have Apple Pay?
Walmart doesn’t support Apple Pay because they want you to use Walmart Pay instead. Walmart Pay offers the company the following benefits:
- Walmart is trying to build its own ecosystem of financial and mobile products to compete with banks and fin tech companies.
- Walmart does not have to pay any fees to Apple.
- Walmart is able to collect data on its shoppers, which would be more difficult to obtain if the customer used Apple Pay.
What Forms of Payment Does Walmart Accept?
Walmart currently accepts cash, checks, Visa, Mastercard, and Amex
How does Walmart Pay Compare to Apple Pay?
Walmart Pay is similar to Apple Pay in that it allows you to connect debit/credit cards to a digital wallet inside an app. Both allow for contactless payments at the register.
The two products are different in that Walmart Pay communicates with the register via QR code while Apple Pay communicates with NFC (Near Field Communications) chip technology. In addition, Walmart Pay can only be used in Walmart stores while Apple Pay can be used at a large variety of retailers.